CAGIS chapter members, aged 7-16, meet monthly to explore STEM with fun, hands-on activities led by experts in a variety of STEM fields.
These monthly events often occur at the work places of our STEM experts, giving girls a behind-the-scenes view and allowing them to experience the lab and field environment for themselves.
Each month, chapter members receive an email at least 2 weeks in advance, providing the topic, date, time, and location of the next event. Parents then RSVP to the events they plan to attend. Most chapter events are 1.5 to 2 hours long and occur on weekends. Some chapters have occasional weeknight events if a particular location is not open on weekends.
Past events have included:
• Robotics and coding
• Performing orthopaedic surgery on rubber knees
• Building and testing bridges in a wind tunnel
• Sampling plant communities in forests and fields
• The physics of figure skating
• CSI and forensic science
• Electricity and building a flashlight
• Mobile app development
• Computer science and website development
• Dentistry and searching for cavities
• The physics of art restoration
• Mechanics and fixing cars
• The chemistry of cooking
• Aviation and building model planes
All CAGIS Chapters will be meeting online for the 2020-2021 season because of the COVID-19 pandemic.